Tea in the Sahara
Experience the sights and sounds of this magical city…
Experience the exotic sights and sounds of Marrakech on this customised, guided tour. This magical journey will give you a glimpse into the friendliness, vibrancy and flavour of this Berber-Arab-Portuguese-Spanish-French melting pot!
Marrakech October 15th – 23rd 2017
From the maze-like corridors of its magical souks to the breathtaking expanses of its mountains and deserts, Morocco is a country that expands the mind, delights the senses and inspires the imagination.
I have always thought of Morocco as a magical and wondrous place and I would like to invite you to join me on an enchanting journey to re-awaken the magic in your life, through listening to the heartbeat of Morocco. By staying in the medina and engaging with this ancient city’s rythms and customs. Being mystically transported (or just woken up) by the call to prayer, drinking mint tea in the souqs, finding exquisite restaurants, walking through beautiful gardens and sleeping in the Sahara Desert under a million stars and much, much more….
This journey is for you if…
- You want to explore an ancient & magical place
- You want to travel to an exotic location but you don’t want to go alone
- You adore learning about different cultures & people
- You really enjoy eating delicous food and trying new things
- You are excited to explore the markets and medinas with all their colours & vibrancy
- A night in a historic kasbah has you imagining Arabian nights
- Two nights in the desert glamping under the stars sound like heaven to you
As the sun set on another magical day in this red city, you watch the merchants in their Djellaba close up shop for the day and you wander past small coffee houses and colourful lantern displays back to your welcoming Riad.
Entering this hidden exotic space, you make your way to your room which can only be described as romantic, complete with lush soft furnishings and a Moroccan tiled bathroom.
Resting onto the day bed in your room, you can’t help smiling about the delightful day you just had walking through the Yves St Laurent gardens, shopping for perfumes and handmade gifts, visiting a museum, eating in charming restaurants, and exploring with your amazing new friends!
We’ll be spending five fabulous nights in the beautiful city of Marrakech enjoying the exotic culture, food, shopping, and the glamorous décor of our Riad. Located right in the Medina down a narrow alley, you’ll feel like you’ve found a secret oasis that only you know about.
And best of all, you can walk right out the door and immerse yourself in the mesmerizing souks and smells of Marrakech!
For sure you’ll fall in love with the Moroccan decor and there’s no way you’re going home without a piece of Morocco – whether it’s a beautiful lamp, unique textiles, a pouf, a carpet, silver jewelry pieces, or leather goods.
Ah…the delights of Marrakech!
We’ll then make our way to the desert through an eclectic mix of mountain passes, lush valleys, Berber villages clinging to the mountain side, dilapidated kasbahs, palm groves and awe inspiring rock formations.
Set in the majestic Sahara Desert is our magical Desert Camp and Moroccan Berber team, waiting to welcome you with mint tea and Moroccan food.
Camping in the Moroccan desert, beneath the millions of African stars, while listening to the ancient drumming of the nomadic people of Morocco will touch your soul. The nights here are special, starting with watching an amazing desert sunset (while sipping sundowners) over the sand dunes, followed by delicious Moroccan food and finishing with a spectacular view of the milky way galaxy.
What You’ll See and Do
- Camel Trekking
- Cooking Class
- Cultural Exploration
- Historical Sites
- Local Delicacies
- Spa Element
- Wine Tasting
To start with, no trip to Marrakesh would be complete without indulging in a traditional hammam at Les Bains de Marrakech.
The Moroccan Hammam is a place where locals go to socialize, relax and meet one another, but also to get scrubbed within an inch of their lives!
Be prepared to open your pores (and have your dead skin be gone!) with an exfoliating glove and savon noir soap (their black soap made from home-grown olive oil). Slather on a little argon oil afterwards and you’ll leave feeling squeaky clean, fresh, shiny, intensely relaxed and totally refreshed! Ahhhhh……
And don’t forget to treat yourself to Les Bains de Marrakech home products and take home their delicately perfumed candles (they make lovely holiday gifts), their home perfumes, and face and body crèmes.
And we can’t forget a tour of the highlights of the city with our trusty guide exploring the old medina souks for djellaba robes, spices, babouches (Moroccan slippers), carpets and colorful ceramics, perhaps visiting the old ruins of the El Badi Palace, or the stunning Bahia Palace (which truly is an architectural wonder).
If that’s not tempting enough – I’ve planned a day trip to the beautiful sea-side port of Essaouira (pronounced “essa-weera” or “es-Sweera” in Arabic – see the picture to the right) to explore the souks and seashore and enjoy a lovely lunch. The fortified city walls, constant sea-breezes, and sea gulls flying above make this city charming with a totally different feel than Marrakesh!
Outside of Essaouria is Les Domaines du Val d’Argan – an incredible little winery (owned by a Frenchman) that is known for its outstanding wines and beautiful vineyards. We’ll take time for a visit and a tasting – you are going to be pleasantly surprised!
And not to be missed is a stop at the Cooperative Feminine d’Argana El Kheir for some of Morocco’s beloved Argan Oil. After all, once we go to the hamman we’ve got to make sure we keep our skin soft and our locks shiny.
- 5 nights double occupancy at 5 star Hivernage Hotel & Spa (or similar) in Marrakech (yes there are two beds in the room!)
- 1 night double occupancy at Kasbah Azul en route to the Desert
- 2 nights double occupancy at Erg Chigaga Luxury Desert Camp
- Airport Transfers (Designated times only)
- Transportation from Marrakech to the Desert and back
- 5 breakfasts at Hivernage Hotel & Spa
- Day trip to Essaouria including lunch
- Transportation and guide for our day trip to Essaouria
- Half Day Traditional Spa experience at Le Bains de Marrakech
- Welcome dinner at Al Fassia (“The Woman from Fes”) – a restaurant owned and run by women that employs mostly women
- Farewell dinner together at Le Comptoir
- Dinner at Dar Yakout a Marrakech experience
- Dinner at the hotel the night before we depart to the Desert
- Breakfast and Dinner at Kasbah Azul
- All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks including sundowners, at Erg Chigaga Luxury Desert Camp
- Camel Rides in the Desert
- All Entrance fees to any sites we visit together in Marrakech
What’s Not Included
- Your round-trip airfare from home
- One dinner and two lunches are not-included
- Any oil or products you purchase at the argan co-op
- Other non-included items would include souvenir shopping, personal phone calls, extra spa services, taxis, laundry, bell-boys, and tips for your room maid (we recommend $1-2 USD per day per person)
- Personal, medical or trip cancellation insurance
You must arrive into the Marrakesh Menara Airport (RAK) on October 15th and depart October 23rd, 2017 after breakfast. We’ll have two airport pick-ups for the group arriving on October 15th – at 2 and 4pm. If you are not arriving in time to be on those transports we can help you arrange your own taxi to the hotel (at your cost).
Chief Visionary & Founder
Natalie hails from South Africa and has moved countries and cities more than you can imagine. She now lives in Canada and Southern Spain and still has the travel bug. Unfortunately her husband Mike only likes to do his traveling from the sofa so she created SoulSisters Adventures & Retreats, now she always has good company to travel with!
With a love for experiencing different cultures and making new friends, she is also passionate about making a difference in peoples lives.
Join her on her magical adventures across the globe. 🙂